Note From Host Provider T3 Consortium
The Historical Society of the Somerset Hills Website is going DARK.
Hundreds of pages, thousands of images, and great news and interest visited by over 2,000 people a month.
IF YOU LIKE THIS SITE.....
DON'T LET THIS SITE GO DARK!
Tell Chairman Sue Zibelli you LIKE this Site and want it to continue.
Phone: 908-221-1770 and leave a message.
or send an eMail:
Home | About | News | Local History | Tours | Archives | Photos | Young Historians | Events | Research | Store | Volunteer | Contact Us
Historic Profile -
The 45th President of the United States Chooses Bedminster for Summer White House
The Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey—now known as President Trump’s Summer White House—occupies 535 acres of rambling countryside in central New Jersey, 45 minutes away from New York City. Most of the property was once the private estate of John DeLorean, the auto industry playboy whose stainless-steel car is remembered best in its role as a time machine in the movie Back to the Future. Trump purchased the property in 2000 for about $35 million, and it opened as a golf club in 2004. The home, once known as “Lamington House” has a new name: “The Summer White House".
Brief History of Bedminster Township
Nestled behind New Jersey’s second Watchung Mountain, the town of Bedminster was chartered by King George II in 1749. Neighbored by Bridgewater to the South and Bernards Township to the East, Bedminster early settlers were mostly Dutch, migrating mostly from New Amsterdam to seek their fortunes. Migration increased after the British took over New Amsterdam moving from present day Brooklyn and Queens.
Settling along the banks of the North Branch of the Raritan River, the area was slow to develop. Bedminster is noted as a mecca for equestrians as the United States Equestrian Foundation (USET) facility is just to the north. Bedminster is also noted as being one of the most densely populated areas for horses in the United States. Rich in revolutionary war history, the hamlet of Pluckemin in Bedminster was home to America’s first military academy during the Revolutionary War winter of 1778-1779 under the command of General Henry Knox. The facility was known as the Pluckemin Artillery Cantonment. Knox stayed at the Jacobus Vanderveer House, a restored home and farm just to the west of the cantonment site. It is also noted that the famous spy, John Honeyman, one of George Washington’s greatest war spies resided in Bedminster as well. Honeyman is buried in the nearby Lamington Church cemetery.
As for the township, packed stone and dirt roads criss cross the township that allow for equestrian activities to continue today. The expectation is that cars are secondary to horses on these roads. In addition, a complex horse bridal path system still exists across the township. Lastly, one of the most important institutions came to Bedminster with the Essex Hunt Club, home to the Fox Hounds, one of the most prestigious horse/dog/fox clubs in the country.
For almost a century the population of Bedminster held around 1,700 residents. One of the largest planned developments in New Jersey, the Hills and The Hills Development changed Bedminster forever. Dating back to 1969 when the descendants of Grant Schley (American Express) sold Schley Mountain for $2.2 million. In the mid 1990’s Johns-Manville had sold its 50 percent share to William E. Simon and Sons. This group, in turn, auctioned off huge parcels to major home builders like K. Hovnanian, Gale Wentworth & Dillon, Pulte Homes, Matzel & Munford, Toll Brothers and several others. Today, it’s a mix of residents ranging from early twenties to retirees, including 600 low and moderate income residences. After the completion of the Bedminster portion of The Hills, the Bedminster population grew to over 8,000.
The Lamington Farm Estate
Just south of the Lamington section of Bedminster Township lies one of the finest pieces of real estate in Bedminster dating back to the 1600’s. The Duyckinck family, a Dutch farming family, lived on the Lamington Farm property through the early 1900’s, living in what was know as the “Old Dutch House”. The family made cider with their own presses from apples from their orchard. They raised cattle and sheep.
The Continental Army’s artillery was stationed in Bedminster, in the Pluckemin Village section of Bedminster, during the winter of 1778-1779 under the leadership of General Henry Knox. Legend has it there was a ghost in the house. John Duyckinck, a British sympathizer, was confined to live within the boundaries of the property after being jailed and exiled by General George Washington in 1779. It is still unclear if Duyckinck was a Revolutionary War hero, or a British spy, but past residents claim to have seen and heard sounds of a man in riding boots echoing in the stairwells.
Image: 1921 map highlighting the Duyckinck property and residences.
Cowperthwaite Family – Lamington House (1917 - 1981)
In 1917, the property was purchased by the Morgan Cowperthwaite family. The original house was designed by New York architect James Cameron Mackenzie who had previously designed the Gambrill estate in Peapack. In 1939, architect Mott B. Schmidt of New York City was commissioned by John K. Cowperthwaite, Morgan’s son, to build the Cowperthwaite residence. Schmidt was an architect who also constructed New York's Gracie Mansion’s Susan B. Wagner wing, Sutton Place, and homes for the Rockefellers and the Vanderbilts. The Cowperthwaite’s called it Lamington House.
Above Image: The Lamington House was built in 1939 on the same site as the original Duyckinck house. The home was designed by renowned architect Mott B.Schmidt. President Trump’s Summer White House actually looked like the White House in 1939.
The original White House in Washington DC North Portico- 1890 – Credit: Library of Congress
Image: 1935 map showing the Cowperthwaite property along with the neighboring Black Cemetery.
The Bedminster area is part of what’s known as the Somerset Hills and had become a popular equestrian and hunting area in the late 1800s. As fox hunting grew, Charles Pfizer moved the historic Essex Hunt Club from Montclair, New Jersey to Peapack, New Jersey. Trails were integrated into the Hamilton Farm and Lamington Farm properties. The family also raised cattle on the estate, noted as being some of the finest in the area.
John DeLorean Estate (1981 -2000)
Jock Cowperthwaite maintained the estate until John DeLorean purchased it in 1981. John DeLorean bought what was then 433 acres along with the Georgian-style red brick manor house for $3.5 million. DeLorean and his former wife, model/actress Christina Ferrare lived there for 19 years.
In 1978 DeLorean left General Motors to start the DeLorean Motor Company. where he built his dream car, the DMC-12, made famous in Stephen Spielberg’s 1985 movie Back to the Future. With a $25,000 price tag, the car didn’t sell well. The car was cult phenomenon
John DeLorean and his DMC-12 car. Photo Credit: The Detroit Bureau
Then on October 19, 1982, John Z. DeLorean was arrested and charged with conspiracy to obtain and distribute 55 pounds of cocaine. What most people don’t remember is that DeLorean was acquitted of the drug charges in August 1984 stating DeLorean was entrapped by the FBI. It was the company’s financial trouble that made DeLorean an easy drug target for the FBI’s $24 million drug deal. Investments up to $175 million basically tanked the company due to modest reviews of the car.
While living in the house rumor had it that Delorean’s adopted son Zachery, having a father that designed the Chevrolet Firebird, Vega, the Pontiac Grand Prix, and GTO didn’t seem to phase him. On the other hand it seemed to embolden him. Rumor has it that while father John returned from a business trip he ventured upstairs to see his son. After knocking on the door he entered the teens room only to find a full sized poster of a Ford Mustang on his wall. A blasphemous act, John had a working relationship with Lee Iacocca, the Ford mustang designer. But as parents know, you just need to know what fights to defend. The door shut and the poster stayed.
In 1999, DeLorean declared bankruptcy and put his Bedminster estate up for sale. Rumor had it that before the FBI came to seize DeLorean’s property he buried all over his property. When Trump’s Golf Club property was being excavated, nothing turned up. But it still remains a local rumor.
Donald Trump Property #summerwhitehouse (2000 - Present)
By 2000, DeLorean’s estate expanded to 506-acres. On the western side lies Cowperthwaite Road, named after the second property owners, the Cowperthwaite family. Trump bought the property from National Fairways in 2000, a minority partner of Lamington Farm Club LLC (now Trump National Golf Club), a Connecticut-based golf course developer that had acquired it at a bankruptcy auction in early 2000. Bedminster Township in August 2001 approved Donald Trump’s property for use as a golf course and country club.
Credit: The Historical Society of the Somerset Hills – Donald Trump at Trump National in Bedminster
The red brick Lamington House became Trump National’s clubhouse and 11 single-family cottages were planned for extensive renovations around a planned pool and bistro complex. The Tom Fazio designed golf course was opened in 2004. Located a short distance from the clubhouse in a separate “village”, there’s a 25-yard long swimming pool, hot tubs, spa and fitness center, tennis courts, paddle tennis, basketball court, equestrian riding trails and of course, a heliport. Located next to the clubhouse and across from the pro shop, ” locker area was located and is now the ladies’ locker room; the men’s locker room having been relocated above the golf pro shop. The golf shop was DeLorean’s former garage. In 2007, permits and plans were submitted to the Bedminster Land Use Board for a cemetery on the property just off the 1st hole on the golf course along with 10 family plots. The permit was approved via Resolution 2013-16.
In 2006, struggles over planning and “gray water” issues led to the hiring of Edward Russo, the former Bedminster Planning Board Chairman. Russo worked diligently as a consultant and acted as an environmental consultant for the Trump project in Bedminster. News articles have labeled him “Trumps Environmental Evangelist”. Russo was hired by National Fairways in 2000 and Trump continued his consultancy until this day.
Summer White House Neighbors
Former New Jersey Governor Christie Whitman, ex-presidential candidate Stephen Forbes have been neighbors in the surrounding Bedminster area near the Trump National Golf Club. Woody Johnson, owner of the New York Jets, while not a direct neighbor, lives nearby.
Image: The Lamington Black Cemetery-just off the Summer White House grounds.
What many people don’t know is that there is a black cemetery adjoining the property just off Cowperthwaite Road on the western side. Back in the early days of the Trump Development, Cowperthwaite Road was public road that cut through the middle of the property. There were many times when people would drive their cars past the cemetery onto a dirt path leading to River Road at the end. Arguments were made by Trump to close the public road. Today Lamington Farm Club LLC (aka Trump National owns the road so it is no longer a public cross road) Conditions of Approval required that the now private road be kept open and available for public access. A variance was later approved to permit the closure.
The Summer White House
The summer of 2017 is President Trump’s first year the Trump property was referred to as “The Summer White House“. While President Trump has had numerous visits to his Bedminster estate, Aug 5-17, 2017 was designated his first “summer working vacation. Based on news reporting, what has commonly be noted as a “Second White House”. Based on all reporting, what was once named Lamington house is now unofficially named the “Summer White House” of the 45th President of the United States.
The #summerwhitehouse is a relatively new term. Presidential summer residences have significant interest and add to local history. George H. Bush, President 41 had his Kennebunkport, Maine summer White House which put the sleepy Maine town on the global stage. Today people still stop near the compound and take photos. George W. Bush had his summer White House in Texas and John F. Kennedy had his Hyannis, Massachusetts compound as well.
The Bedminster Summer White House is not New Jersey’s first Summer White House. New Jersey’s own Woodrow Wilson had his 1916 summer White House in Long Branch, New Jersey. The Shadow Lawn mansion, built in 1929 is now Wilson Hall and the centerpiece of Monmouth University. Joseph B. Greenhut, the head of Siegel, Cooper Co., a New York department store was the owner. Greenhut loaned the mansion to President Woodrow Wilson during the campaign of 1916 as the presidential summer home. Thereafter it was known as the Summer White House.
Other THSSH Historic Profiles
Profile - The Bernards Inn - Click Here
Other Local Interest Historic Areas - Click Here
About the Author
Brooks Betz is a resident of Basking Ridge and enjoys researching local history and posting to the internet for others to learn. He is also an active member of The Historical Society of the Somerset Hills and contributes digital content. This article was shared from a T3C Idea Exchange post in 2017.
About The Historical Society of the Somerset Hills (THSSH)
Founded in 1928 originally as the Historical Society of Basking Ridge, the mission and name of the society was later changed to The Historical Society of the Somerset Hills, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization including all five communities of the Somerset Hills region: Bedminster Township, Bernards Township, Bernardsville ,Far Hills, Peapack-Gladstone which are all located in Somerset County, New Jersey.
The mission of The Historical Society of the Somerset Hills (THSSH) is to acquire, conserve and share local artifacts and information on matters of local historic interest; cultivate interest in local history; encourage the preservation of local historic resources; facilitate historic research; and preserve, operate, and interpret the Brick Academy.
To further this mission, THSSH sponsors events and activities that promote community awareness and appreciation of the history and architecture of the Somerset Hills. THSSH headquarters is at the Brick Academy in the Basking Ridge section of Bernards Township, where our collections of items of local historic interest are available to the public.
About the Brick Academy
The Brick Academy (also known as the Basking Ridge Classical Schoolhouse) is a 1809 Federal-style architectural structure located in the center of Basking Ridge in Bernards Township. The Brick Academy has been a boys’ private preparatory school, a public school, a meeting hall for several fraternal and benevolent organizations, and the Bernards Township municipal building. It currently serves as the headquarters of The Historical Society of the Somerset Hills, as well as a schoolhouse and museum to local history. The Brick Academy also celebrated its bicentennial in 2009.
Home | About | News | Local Interest | Tours | Archives | Historic Photos | Students | Events | Research | Store | Volunteer | Contact Us
Directions | Membership | Affiliate- Reproductions | Links | Newsletter | Charter Day | Policies | Site Map | Donate