All Rights Reserved. Please read
Historical Photographs and Documents gathered from around The Somerset Hills
The Washington House and W.E. Tunis Store in Basking Ridge. Today, on the same location is The Store Restaurant. W.E. Tunis was originally erected as a double house circa 1860. Tunis ran a confectionery store on the first floor, and the Junior Order United American Mechanics on the second floor. The Washington House Hotel was built circa 1871 for Augustus Moore by Crayton Space, a local builder. It had 16 sleeping rooms, a dining room that seated 25 and stabling accommodations for 18 horses. The hotel was nearly lost in the winter of 1947 when a fire burned the cupola. Both Henry Street and S. Finley Avenue still were unpaved. Courtesy of The Historical Society of the Somerset Hills.